The Weekend

Had a really great weekend in a strange sorta way this past weekend. It was great in that my good friends Josh and Clay and their wives were here playing at a Disciple Now Weekend. It was really great to hang out with them, and I am really thankful for their friendship. Part of what I enjoy so much about them (beyond their incredible talent) is the fact that I think we could stay up all night and just chat about nothing.....and everything. Rarely in my life have I found people that I can just sit with and talk, and have meaningful conversation. That's not to say that everything we talk about is deep and serious...far from it. But there is a quality in the conversation and friendship with those guys that is so much greater than "surface" friendships...and perhaps greater than any other friends that I have or have had.

The weekend was however a bit strange in a couple of ways. First, Karen got sick on Saturday and was in bed all day. It is wierd to be with couple friends without her being around. She is also the "Martha" of our house...and does all the hosting duties. She does a wonderful job of cooking and cleaning and getting the house ready and making things special (living in Alabama, out of town company is a really big treat), and then when it came time to just enjoy the company, she wasn't able to. I really hate she missed it and really hate she is sick. I also hated that I wasn't able to tend to her as I would have liked.

Secondly it was wierd because of the event that we were playing. Being a former youth minister, I am altogether familiar with these type events (Disciple Nows). Our kids always seemed to enjoy them and we always had good D-Nows. Not to mention the countless D-Nows that I've played at, been a group leader for, etc. However, now that I am removed from student ministry and am a little older, I have a much different perspective on these type things. Don't get me wrong, I don't think they are a bad thing. Any chance to spend time with kids and help them spend time with God's word and in His presence is time well spent. But I just wonder what we actually accomplish in these weekends. And if we even know what our goal is for these type events. I could wax philosophic here, but I'll spare you. I will tell you why I will continue to do things like this. When I was 12 years old I went to a youth camp. I can't tell you a thing the speaker talked about, and I can't tell you anything about the worship (I do remember singing with motions "A pizza hut a pizza hut. Kentucky fried chicken and a pizza hut"....for what it's worth.) but I do remember God opening my eyes in a really amazing way, and I can look back at that time as a marker in my life where by His divine grace, God drew me closer to him beyond just the initial conversion experience. I think God can use those type events. My prayer with these events is that he will do the same or even a greater thing in the students lives. I just think we need to use caution and great care as we approach those type of events.

Finally, it was strange because these things always make me evaluate my life, and particularly my calling and ministry. I enjoy what I do, I think. I enjoy the fact that I am able to use music in ministry. And I am thankful for our church, and the opportunities they have afforded me and Karen to grow and learn and make mistakes. I also know that I am where God has called me for this time in my life. However, it just seems like life has more questions than answers sometimes. In five years will I still be doing what I am doing? Is this what church is really suppose to look like? Can I do anything to help change the current church culture to look more like God's original intention, or am I just adding to the noise? Why in the world do I live in Alabama? Why is it that the more I play music the more I wish I was doing something different with it? Am I just not content because I won't let myself be or because there really is something more out there waiting for me or is it just that nothing will ever satisfy this side of heaven? Oh so many questions that seem to be magnified for whatever reason when these events come along. But I say all that to say that I am really thankful for my life and all that God has done for me, and I want to be a person who is content in all situations.

Ok enough of all that. All in all the weekend was a good one. I am looking forward to April when we will get to do it again. However this time I hope we will all be healthy...and not have flat tires....and etc. Hope all of you, my faithful readers (all two of you HA!) had great weekends as well. If you ever need weekend plans, come on over to North Alabama. We'll treatcha real good!

4 comments:

It was a really great weekend for us as well. Lyndsay and I really feel that we have a special relationship with you and Karen and the Woods.

Tell Karen that even with the flu she was still the ideal hostess.

February 18, 2008 at 5:03 PM  

We enjoyed the weekend too. I'm glad Karen is starting to feel some better.

I have asked myself so many of the same questions over the years. God has moved me around some, but I don't know how much progress I am really making.

I enjoyed getting to play some music with you guys this weekend. It's great to play with such a talented group of musicians again. I'm looking forward to doing it again soon!
(Oh, and more than 2 people read your blog.... just for the record)

Love, peace and chicken grease.d

February 18, 2008 at 7:50 PM  

it was great playing with you too Heath. It was great getting to know you as well. As that's no carp.

February 19, 2008 at 7:59 AM  

Thanks Josh... same to you. Your a great guitar player and a real cool guy. Enjoyed meeting you and we'll see ya soon.

February 19, 2008 at 12:31 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds.